Embedding Race Equality - Our Pledge
The Lewisham schools’ Race Equality Steering Group have agreed a Lewisham Race Equality Pledge in consultation with headteachers across the Borough.
The Pledge and the work we are doing on the Race Equality Plan were shared and discussed at the briefing for Chairs of Governors on Monday 18th January.
Sir Francis Drake Primary School governors voted to sign up to this pledge in March 2021
Embedding Race Equality - Pledge
We are expecting all Lewisham schools to publicly sign up to a pledge to Embed Race Equality and address Black Caribbean heritage and Black and Minority Ethnic under achievement.
This will entail a commitment to:
- Targeting ambitious outcomes for Black Caribbean heritage and Black and Minority Ethnic pupils.
- Reducing exclusions of Black Caribbean heritage pupils at all ages.
- Leaders and governors taking a whole school approach to embedding race equality.
- Transparent reporting and sharing of borough wide data trends.
- Working together in new ways and sharing good practice toembed race equality in our school cultures and curriculum.
- Actively developing high quality relationships with Black Caribbean heritage and Black and Minority Ethnic pupils and their parents.
- Improving Black representation in school leadership and governing bodies
- Lewisham schools holding each other to account. Lewisham Learning and Lewisham Council will internally support and challenge, including reporting annually to the Council, on the progress that is being made across Lewisham.